I thought you might enjoy a montage of some of the great views we have up here in the mountains of Western Nort Carolina.
- DuPont State Recreational Forest — When I was a kid, we went out to the old DuPont property on Cedar Mountain for a picnic. Earlier that day they were filming the movie The Last of the Mohicans, and there were still pieces of the set around. It would be many years before I came back. The DuPont Corporation sold the [...]
- Mist Rising on Lake Glenville — The end of fall in the mountains spells an end to the tourist season. But what the average visitor doesn’t realize are the many spectacular secrets that the cooler weather reveals. Crystal clear vistas and hidden views, fall and winter around Lake Glenville are a reward for the off season traveler. Once such stunning cold [...]
- Fall Color Drive — Fall is my favorite season here in the mountains of North Carolina. The weather is usually crisp and dry with skies as blue as lapis. Once the leaves start to turn, the colors change almost overnight. On Monday, the leaves were green, and by Friday they had almost all begun their transformation. Brilliant yellow, vibrant [...]
- Wildlife Wednesday–Find The Gro... — Grouse are remarkable at camouflage. This NC spring they are quite plentiful if you know where to look. I have a friend who works for the Forestry service who says he has seen at least 20 this spring. My Dear Husband was out and about this week around Lake Glenville and found a grouse waiting [...]
- April Flowers at High Falls — It is time for early spring flowers in the high mountains of Western North Carolina. The warmer weather means that we can get outside. A short hike down from Lake Glenville to High Falls is just the thing. It is too early for the trees around Lake Glenville to have leaves, but a faint red [...]