We don’t see many bald eagles in this area, but today I spotted one high in a tree overlooking the Tuckasegee River. I am planning to take some time soon and investigate further. I believe he is staying in the area, not just passing thru. I’ll let you know soon.
- High Falls — The closest hike to the cabins is High Falls on the north side of Lake Glenville. It is also my favorite hike in the Cashiers / Glenville area, taking you down to a stunning box canyon with a double drop waterfall. The lakeside entrance to the waterfall was put in only a few years ago [...]
- Frozen Waterfalls of Cashiers and Hig... — While the NC mountains are colder than most of the south, the weather is still pretty mild in comparison with the rest of the country. So when temps drop to the single digits, we hunker down, let our faucets drip, and dream of summer. But there is one perk to the extreme cold: frozen waterfalls. [...]
- Mist Rising on Lake Glenville — The end of fall in the mountains spells an end to the tourist season. But what the average visitor doesn’t realize are the many spectacular secrets that the cooler weather reveals. Crystal clear vistas and hidden views, fall and winter around Lake Glenville are a reward for the off season traveler. Once such stunning cold [...]
- How Low Can Lake Glenville Go — We have had an interesting start to Fall at Lake Glenville. Duke Energy has lowered the lake extra low this year (a planned 16 feet) in order to fix up the Pines Recreation Area at the northern end near the dam. Lake Glenville is always lowered after Labor Day, but this is the lowest the [...]
- Kayak on Lake Glenville — Mike and I went out to kayak on Lake Glenville the other evening. It was the first time we have been out so far this year, and it was spectacular. The weather has been pretty hot during the day, well, hot for us, high seventies/ low eighties. But the evenings are just right for a [...]